Final 2018 Project
Develop an experiment that uses the scientific method. You will need to demonstrate how you met each of the steps including
- Inclusion of field notes (longitudinal field notes and diagrams)
- Documentation of your questions and final hypothesis using an “if…then” formulation
- Description of your testing methodology including variables and control
- Conclusions from your testing
- An evaluation of your testing method and suggestions for future improvement
Create a Family Tree (Family Pedigree) that traces a genetic trait back through at least two generations of your family. Only include information you are certain of – don’t guess!
Choose one of the following 2 options:
- Draw and label an animal cell. Include the scientific name of each organelle and a brief description in your own words of that structure’s role.
- Write a short story using metaphor that describes an animal cell, the organelles and their role in the cell
Build a 3-D representation of DNA using found objects. Ensure that you not only show the backbone and the bonds, and differentiate the bases by using different colours
Choose and research a technology that has been created to work with our knowledge of genetics. In a 1-2 page essay,
- Describe the invention its impact on the world
- Evaluate the ethics of that technology in the following three ways
- Do you think that the benefits outweigh the costs? (Is it worth it?)
- What rules ought to be in place surrounding this technology? Explain your thinking.
- Does your technology have an impact on the planet or biodiversity
- Any other information you think is relevant
Date Due: Tuesday, June 19