Dear Division 16,
For this week’s assignment, please read the document produced by the government in BC about rising tides in BC:
Under the first paragraph, there are seven possible impacts of sea level rise in BC. They are:
- More frequent and extreme high water levels in coastal areas
- Increased erosion and flooding
- Increased risk to coastal infrastructure, as well as increased maintenance and repair costs
- Loss of property due to erosion
- Loss of habitat and reduced biodiversity
- Saltwater intrusion into coastal aquifers
- Loss of cultural and historical sites
This is especially relevant because this year, the West Coast is predicted to face “King Tides”. You can learn more about King Tides at the following links:
For your assignment tonight, please
- Choose one of the 7 possible impacts (listed above and in the main article) of rising tides that you think will have the greatest impact on our hydrosphere.
- Give at least two reasons for your choice, and,
- Describe one way we can help minimize the effects of rising tides on our coasts.
I look forward to your responses,