Dear Division 16,
Tuesday in class we worked on the “Me on the Map” project where we discussed the factors that make for a positive and healthy community.
Charles Montgomery cites research in his book Happy City that shows that when people feel good about seven parts of their lives they are generally happy.
These are the seven factors he identified:
1. Their basic needs are met – food, shelter and safety
2. They experience pleasurable experiences more frequently than painful ones
3. They are healthy – or feel healthy
4. They experience income equity – the sense of being treated fairly
5. They experience feelings of mastery or being good at something
6. They have freedom to make decisions, express opinions and move around
7. They experience meaning and belonging. They feel connected to family and friends
For your blog assignment this week, please choose one of these factors that you experience in your community and explain what structures or supports in our community help you to feel that way. For example, I might choose #5 and say that being a part of the Dickens community and having three year relationships with students and parents where I receive feedback helps me feel like I am good at being a teacher. Please include whatever details you feel are necessary to help others understand your point. In general, it should probably require about 3 sentences. Please edit your work for spelling, punctuation and make sure it makes sense.
I look forward to your responses!