Dear Division 16,
Great work at the Museum of Anthropology yesterday! I’ve been thinking about the role of museums in our society, and I did a bit of reading. It turns out that many museums belong to the International Council of Museums. You can learn more about them on their website here: http://icom.museum/
Museums, as part of “The World Museum Community”, commit to a code of ethics that help guide their work. Here is part of their Code of Ethics:
1. Museums preserve, interpret and promote the natural and cultural inheritance of humanity
2. Museums that maintain collections hold them in trust for the benefit of society and its development
3. Museums hold primary evidence for establishing and furthering knowledge
4. Museums provide opportunities for the appreciation, understanding and promotion of the natural and cultural heritage
5. Museums hold resources that provide opportunities for other public services and benefits
6. Museums work in close collaboration with the communities from which their collections originate as well as those they serve
For your blog homework tonight, please choose one or more of these ethical practices that museums commit to as part of the International Council of Museums, and answer the following question:
Why do you think this ethical practice is important for museums to commit to? Give one example of how museums could achieve that ethical goal and explain how that would look in our particular community. If you saw an example of it yesterday, please use that in your response.
I look forward to your responses!